Kite Travel Club goes to Isla Blanca, Mexico

isla-blanca
featured

Céline and I arrived at the Cancun airport last night after a layover in -30 degree Calgary, AB. 4 hours of sleep in the hotwire hotel was just enough to power us through the flight and the customs and immigrations line-ups full of cerveza-thirsty gringos bound for their various all-inclusive smorgasbords. Our old friend at the car rental place (ado car rental, recommended by our future airbnb host in El Cuyo) was so happy to see us again - despite the fact that this is our first time here and hooked us up with a great deal on a jeep for 2 weeks, a vehicle recommended for many of the rough roads to be encountered around the Yucatan peninsula. An interesting poster on the car rental shop wall showed the geological progression and sinking of the peninsula, which has given rise to the famous cenotes of the area.

Now fairly late, we scramble to find some proper mezcal and get to Ikarus Kiteboarding where we’ll stay for 2 nights before proceding to El Cuyo. The drive was straight forward and a stop at the Walmart-owned La Suprema market resulted in a few snacks and essential libations.

We arrived after 8pm at Ikarus which is the official closing of the kitchen but the kitchen staff were very gracious in preparing us some tacos regardless. While food was prepared we moved into our comfortable, newly constructed room.

Dinner was simple but delicious, exactly what we were looking for after our long travels. Ambience at Ikarus is chill and welcoming. A few sips of mezcal, a nice swing in the hammock, a light breeze ensuring a perfect temperature, and a proper sleep at last.

love the shallow water!!!

When I get a moment, I’ll write about the kiting :grimacing:. The shallow and flat water of the lagoon were super fun, an ideal spot for beginners. The warning of crocs in the mangrove adds to the excitement. :crocodile: